[ Home | Introduction | Gallery ]
Castle Freke, Rosscarbery, Co Cork
The original castle on this site was a 15th Century tower house belonging to Barry family. It was occupied by the Frekes 1617. In 1642 it was beseiged by local clans in what was to become the longest siege in Irish history. It was destroyed by Cromwellian forces in 1648.

The Frekes and Evans intermarried and became Barons of Carbery 1715 and Castle Freke was rebuild in 1780 by Sir John Evans-Freke, incorporating the original castle keep in its design.

The renowned architect Sir Richard Morrison altered the castle into its current Gothic castellated style in 1820. In 1910 a fire gutted the castle and it was extensively refurbished in time for a lavish coming-of-age party for the tenth Lord Carbery, John. He was a dashing eccentric who learned to fly and became an ace pilot in the First World War. 

John Carbery returned from the War and found that the world had changed. He was forced to sell Castle Freke in the 1920s and it was dismantled in 1952.

This ruin is enormous and very easy to find. Apparently it was put up for sale for development in 1999 so might not be a ruin for much longer. As it still has floors and ceilings, it is very dark and rather eerie inside a torch is definitely recommended for this one!

Map reference: W 323352
Copyright © 2002 Ruinhunter.co.uk